Wednesday, April 11, 2007

How much does it matter?

My friend Brent is reviewing this book about an unchurched man becoming a "mystery shopper" for the church. On the surface, I think it's a great idea...actually an idea I was sharing with my pastor, as I have the perfect unchurched friend, who I work with, who has a critical eye, that might be very effective for our church.

But the more I think about it, does it really matter how much our church appeals to the lost world? I mean really, it kind of boils down to the purpose of the church...are we called to placate the pagans...or are we called to build up the body of Christ? Will the lost world ever really understand us...I mean if they're not saved?

Isn't evangelism done on an individual basis through personal relationships? Not necessarily through worship and praise?

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

I think you're missing the point, Hal. The author was looking for a fresh perspective...he wanted someone who didn't go to church to attend so he could see what he was missing because of what was "normal" to him that he'd overlook.

It was never about an "appeal" to a lost world. In fact, the major thrust of the book is about how to listen to those with differing opinions. You're just getting snippets I chose to highlight, which is why I recommended the book for reading.

It isn't at all about an "appeal" to the world, or placating pagans or even being understood. It's about seeing with a fresh set of eyes, ones that wouldn't necessarily have preconceptions about what should be going on or what is "normal."

In fact, read Alicia's comment from my blog yesterday (4/10). That's actually the major thrust of the book, learning to "defend the space." Too long for me to go into here...

4:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home