Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My disagreement with my friend (cont.)

Ok, so me and my good buddy were disagreeing about Christians affecting change through politics vs. affecting change through service and relationships (one person at a time)...

So I take the discussion to my pastor for his thoughts...

And he gives me this book written by Chuck Colson in 1992 titled "Power Religion"...here are a couple of quotes (from 1992):

"Christians CAN make a difference. But in recent years many Christians have urged a more direct approach for bringing needed social change than the service to community that marked earlier evangelical involvement. And what is that more direct approach? Simply elect Christians to political office."

and...

"To suggest that electing Christians to public office will solve all public ills is not only presumptuous and theologically questionable, it is also untrue. Today's misspent enthusiasm for political solutions to the moral problems of our culture arises from a distorted view of both politics and Christianity - too low a view of the power of a sovereign God and too high a view of the ability of man...I know of no case where a spiritual movement was achieved by passing laws."

Interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

More than just interesting. He's correct.

5:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home