Monday, March 05, 2007

Discipleship

Our senior pastor has a real heart for discipleship. He recently shared with us how one person can make a difference...played out the numbers, etc...very appealing to the engineer in me. As a result of sitting through many a sermon where the topic is mentioned, I have become very convicted about discipleship. For months I've been praying about who and when, and how, and not really trusting the sovereignty of God to provide those answers - the doer in me wants to take over.

Flash to three weeks ago. This business group I'm in has us to share our annual goals with each other. Rarely do I read everyone's goals cover to cover (the document is 14 pgs. long). Except this time I did and one of the guys had some interesting goals, similar to mine...eat healthier, excercise, get to a target weight and GROW CLOSER TO GOD! So I send him an email, tell him how encouraged I am by his goals and let him know that mine are similar and I'd like accountability, would he? He says yes, and we start traiding emails 2-3 times/week on how we're doing. We're both doing ok, but the encouragement is helping both of us...he really wants to get some consistency in prayer and scripture reading during Lent (he's Catholic).

Flash to yesterday. I email him and share with him that my pastor has this discipleship study guide...kind of a work book that drives you into scripture, answers lots of questions, and should take a mortal 6-9 months to work through...if he's intersted, would he like to work through it with me after Lent.

He says "that sounds great." Pray for my first ernest, calculated, strategic discipleship effort.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Very cool.

4:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home