Saturday, March 03, 2007

Art ignorant...but ok with it

Our eldest is a bit of a thespian...she sings in the school ensemble, participates in the plays, is called upon to solo for the national anthem...very accomplished resume for her age.

Most of the entertainment opportunities we take part in, involve a ball or a big screen with terrorists getting killed or large explosions. Very simple stuff I know.

My friend Brent posted some beautiful art his daughter painted on his blog yesterday...it looks very nice. I tend to think about "how does she overlap the petals without messing up the one in front"...logistical stuff like that.

Last night we took "the girls" to see Wicked...a wonderful adaptation of the Wizard of Oz...one of the more renowned Broadway Musicals of late. It was nice. I found myself wondering if the set was strong enough to support the monkeys hanging from it...logistical stuff like that.

This morning I've come to the conclusion that I'm different and that's ok. I'll continue to support my eldest's interests, and enjoy them more when she participates...but all take entertainment with a ball involved any day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Make no mistake: I'm not very in tune with what makes great art. I know that some process occurs in which my oldest goes into a room and then comes out leaving some painting in a room that makes me wonder how someone with my DNA can create something that magnificent.

I do the same when my youngest does ballet. Or my wife's photography, too.

I'm surrounded by artists, but much like Homer Simpson, I'm drawn by the "savage ballet that is professional football."

6:24 AM

 
Blogger Hollywood said...

Yes, but you have a artistic flair to you that goes much deeper than mine...you know about art history, you appreciate finer points...

part of me envies that...but most of me is ok with liking things that use balls.

6:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home