Sunday, March 25, 2007

My Ideal Life

I'm reading a wonderful book called "Primal Leadership" about developing EI competencies required for Leadership. One of the exercises is titled "You, Fifteen Years From Now".

"Think about where you would be sitting reading this book if it were fifteen years from now and you were living your ideal life. What kinds of people would be around you? What does your environment look and feel like? What might you be doing during a typical day or week? Don't worry about feasibility, just let yourself imagine and place yourself in the picture."

So here goes...this may take a few days...

I'll be 55. I will be healthy and in-shape...able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes without stopping.

Will have been maried for 32 years and the marriage will be stronger than ever. My best friend will be with me in my ideal life.

I will have a mixture of young grandchildren, adult children, sons/daughters-in-laws, and teenagers. Things will be busy and active.

We will be in the same house, to help facilitate homecomings. Most of the rooms will be renovated to make things easier for adult families visiting.

I envision myself as a kind of oracle to my children and grandchildren. In this role I will be available on demand to offer advice/councel...but much of this councel will take place while fishing...or at the marina for those who don't fish.

To be this oracle, the business will need to be on autopilot, with me acting as oracle there too. So, I'll have a VP Sales, VP Operations, and VP Service who work together as an integrated team to grow the business. I'll be working about 30 hours/week...more later on what that work week should look like.

My boat won't be very big...4-5 people comfortably...probably something 24-29 ft...twin 225...center console...kept at a marina near Anamaria or Venice. The boat enters the picture somewhat recently relative to the 15 year outlook, so at this point I'm still learning the waters, where the sweet fishing holes are, all in preparation for Grandchildren.

All of this has been done while living an authentic faith...having been obedient to Christ in the smallest details of my life. Those who know me best, my children, will say "he lives his Faith". As a result, much of my oracleness will be in areas of faith I suppose, a sort of amped up continuation of now, with more focus and wisdom, and less distractions.

I see me doing short term missions with CWE through our church...building schools, churches, hospitals in developing areas. I think these trips will lay the groundwork for us funding/building an orphanage in Guatemala...I see Henry intimately involved in this.

Now, what will my work week look like?

To be continued...

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Good topic. Good blog!

7:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home