Saturday, August 04, 2007

Dirty Mac

I think I'm fairly normal...I channel surf on occasion...especially while traveling alone and there's no one to keep me in check.

I'm also a sucker for the PBS fundraisers...I recall in the recent past stopping to see James Taylor live, on a bar stool, knocking out a set...so the remote sat idle for 17 minutes, until the guy comes on asking for $90 so they can send you the DVD of JT live at the acropolys. I've also stopped on the Moody Blues (much older than I expected), Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young...etc.

So the other night, I'm in the hotel room, surfing the channels (it's much easier out of town, as you don't know exactly where to find "the Office"), and I see a close up of a big nose...the camera pans out, and that coupled with the 3 seconds of name that tune in my brain...I think "that looks like a very young Pete Townsend"...within seconds I see Roger Daltry, about 23 years old, lots of hair and I think "COOL", the WHO.

Well, they were almost done with their song, so I'm anticipating some more Who, but then Jethro Tull takes the stage...and they're all like 21...except Ian Anderson is an old looking 21 if you know what I mean...now I'm hooked.

Then the fund raiser guy cuts in, but I gotta stay and figure out what the heck this is. Turns out it's a rare video of a Rolling Stones production called "Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus". So I wait though about 14 minutes of begging for money to see what's next, because the guy says that "Dirty Mac" is coming up...and I'm a pretty big classic rock guy, who's never heard of Dirty Mac.

Well, frankly, it was worth the wait...Dirty Mac has John Lennon as the front man and lead singer, Eric Clapton on guitar, Keith Richards on guitar, and the drummer from the Hendrics experience. They play blues. And it rocks.

This whole video was made in 1968 and you can check it all out on you tube.

Side note: you tube rocks, by the way...saved me $90...I think the good folks at PBS may need to come up with a new fund raiser tactic, 'cause every song I saw the other night, I've now seen two or three more times.

Anyway, Tull was huge, the Stones rocked, The Who was on fire...and Dirty Mac was very, very cool.

Hooray PBS.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Hollywood...the band's name is Jethro Tull. No one in it has the name "Jethro Tull." My guess is that you're saying Ian Anderson is looking like 21...

5:24 AM

 
Blogger Hollywood said...

Yes...and I knew that...I am a huge fan...must fix.

1:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home