Sunday, October 15, 2006

Prosperity v. Wrath

One of my sales associates, while sitting around the Tiki Bar following a meeting, asked me my thoughts about a recent article in TIME magazine about Prosperity Teaching taking place within many large churches. I'm not a fan of TIME, nor did I read the article, but if what he layed out there is a remote representation of what they printed...TIME is right.

This oppened the door to share about darker side of the Gospel that most people keep hidden in a closet, in an effort to "win people to Christ"...the wrath of God. You know, the wrath of Sodom and Gamora, the wrath in 2nd Thesalonians and Revelations, and too many other places to take it off the table and hide it like some hidden finance charge you hope nobody notices while you are trying to sell them Christianity. You know, the part about what happens to those who DON'T pick up their cross and follow Jesus. We seem to have taken Hell off the table of late. We don't count the cost much do we anymore?

And when did TIME become a more accurate source for the portrayal of the Gospel of Jesus Christ than many of the largest Evangelical Churches?...if even for an issue.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

I'm actually more intrigued with the idea that you were talking theology around the bar after work. Again, more is translated relationally than through pulpits or magazines...

8:00 AM

 
Blogger Hollywood said...

While I drank my coca cola, and never compromised my Southern Baptist testimony...creating the lead for the conversation to begin with.

11:29 AM

 
Blogger Brent said...

My point exactly, Hollywood. I didn't insinuate that you were drinking...I was just using the reality of your circumstances to highlight that relational ministry is definitely more meaningful than 100 sermons or t-shirts or WWJD bracelets. Whether Coca Cola or iced tea or club soda or Budweiser was, and is, irrelevant to the point I was making.

3:53 PM

 
Blogger Brent said...

But, you WERE where the nonbelievers hang out, hence the opportunity to be "light" in a "dark" place, regardless of beverage of choice.

3:54 PM

 
Blogger some chick said...

I'm just really curious how you got from prosperity teaching to wrath so quickly. wow.

9:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home