Sunday, September 24, 2006

Apparent Waste

On my walk this morning I noticed several houses in our neighborhood were built with underground garbage cans out near the street. Apparently this was the rage in the mid 70's/early 80's. The lid is at ground level and you drop the garbage into the can(s) that sit down in this pit. The garbage man lifts the can out of the pit to put the trash in the truck. The advantages seem to be: garbarge away from the house, never needing to bring the cans in, and, well I'm not sure what else. The disadvantages are: you gotta go to the street with each load of trash (making an extra 4-5 trips to the street can't be good), it has to be tougher on the garbage men to lift these things out of their holes, I bet it gets messy down in the pit after a while...and tough to clean out, seems to be a haven for vermin, and I'm sure I can think of more.

It got me thinking about other so-called conveniences we build into our homes that never really stuck...like intercom systems and Christmas tree closets.

How many can you guys come up with?

3 Comments:

Blogger some chick said...

what is a christmas tree closet? intercom system, I get.

10:36 AM

 
Blogger Hollywood said...

My old boss built his house and put a hidden closet off the living room, like a trap door, and in it goes the Christmas tree, all decorated and all, so they don't have to decorate each year, they just open up the closet, pull out the tree, and move on.

6:27 PM

 
Blogger some chick said...

well that's no fun -- decorating the tree growing up is part of the fun. and wouldn't it get kind of dusty that way?

3:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home