Friday, September 22, 2006

More in common than we are allowed to believe...

Recently on a distant thread on my friend Brent's blog, Jill and Kristen and I kind of agreed that women doing equal work should be paid the same as men. Jill and Kristen, I'm assuming, don't think that's happening out there in the business world, and I offered up my company as a glowing example of how it is.

This got me thinking...in many areas (I'm guessing death penalty, gay marriage, abortion, etc.), we probably differ in our thinking. But I bet in far more areas we agree. Here are some...

Equality for women
Corporate Responsibility (financial, environmental, social)
Freedom
Grace and Forgiveness
The New Testament
The Sovereignty of God
The Divinity of Jesus Christ
Inefficiency in Government
Too much traffic

I could go on...but you get the point. Why all the energy on the 4-5 things in disagreement? Wouldn't we all be better served banning together on the things that say 90% of agree on, and getting some things done?

My operations manager...female, single, Siera Club Outing Leader, Democrat, highest paid in the company, mid-50's, ex-hippi (maybe still a hippi)...she and I agree on a ton...interesting. Yes, we banter about some things...but overall, after 6 years of working together, we find common ground on at least 4 of 5 topics.

Why can't we all do this more? Why can't our leaders (they are Leaders right?) do this?

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

I don't think my sister would agree on the following:

Grace and Forgiveness
The New Testament
The Sovereignty of God
The Divinity of Jesus Christ

2:32 PM

 
Blogger some chick said...

maybe not, but I probably would. and the fact that she and i might not agree, but she still comes over for dinner and wine tasting, says a lot to me.

why don't people focus on the things they agree on? because it's probably more fun to disagree on things. i myself, like both agreeing and disagreeing.

10:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home