Saturday, September 09, 2006

Gluttony (Part II)

A while ago I posted on Gluttony (you can still probably read it by linking to the right about 8 posts ago). Like most people, I think Gluttony and food go together. But the more I thought about it, I think Gluttony and money should be more appropriately linked in our society. And this new correlation has really pricked my heart of late...going back to where the prick became an open wound in Juarez, Mexico this summer.

Why should we have so much, and others have so little? (Pause a while here...read again for emphasis)

But this didn't jive real well with my conservative, capitalist, anti-communist upbringing (and I'm still all those things). And the reason it didn't jive is...to make my upbringing work, those with plenty really have to step to the plate and be giving (like Warren Buffet and Bill & Melinda Gates...two non-Christians by the way). So if people with no faith "get it"...why so many $50K+ cars in church parking lots? How big does our 401K have to get to step to the plate? Do we really need vacation homes? These were questions rolling around my brain...about me...at the same time images of Juarez...and (here's where the hand of God is orchestrating things) my wife simultaneously having similar thoughts.

So, what are we doing about it?

Yesterday we submitted an application to begin the process to adobt and new born boy from Guatemala. A few weeks ago we started to pray specifically about this path and the more we prayed and the more things unfolded, the more right it became. Only accounting for the three agencies we contacted, there are 20 baby boys born in Guatemala in August, who need families and are available for adoption. If the Gospel is about relationships, and people, and love...then what better way to accomplish this than through a single life?

So pray for us and our family. And forgive me for being a tad infrequent with my thoughts on the blog...lots is going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home