Sunday, October 22, 2006

Classic Rock

My son and I had to travel yesterday to an out of the area soccer tournament, so we spent much of the last 30 minutes scanning the airwaves for a good song (because we keep the same CDs in the changer...we were a bit tired of them). Anyway, my take is that no era of music resonates with people like Classic Rock. It appears in every market there are four classic rock stations, at least two more than any other format, other than country.

Another note of interest if you start writing down artists names who have 4 or more hits that would draw people in to stop the scan on the radio and sing along, or cause a 9 year old boy to say, "that's a cool song"...is there any era of music other than classic rock that comes close?

So here goes...these artists/bands fit my profile: Bad Company, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Molly Hatchet, Van Halen, REO Speedwagon, Steely Dan, Alman Brothers, George Thoroughgood, Pink Floyd, Boston, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, CCR, Three Dog Night...these bands had hits, big hits, we can all sing along to between 1970 and 1980, at least four of them...did I miss anybody on my list? Has there every been another era in music like this?

P.S. No religiousity present...please invite Jilly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Unfortunately, the funk and early hip-hop eras had too many one-hit wonders for your four song requirement...but the Vanilla Ice/Run DMC stuff was great and don't even get me started on Brick House/Roller Coaster, etc. stuff.

That's a really good list you put out there, too.

Among those I hung out with I think I could add The Ramones (Sedated, Blitzkreig Bop, Labotomy & Rock N Roll High School) and The Violent Femmes (Blister in the Sun, Kiss Off, Add It Up & Gone Daddy Gone)...and I think a case could be made for Run-DMC and The Beastie Boys. Possibly Billy Idol?

I realize you had more early 70's which is so legendary that it's easy to list but the late 80's had some pretty good stuff now that I think about it. Going more early 70's would Jimmy Buffet fit the list?

And the one very easy one you left off the list: AC/DC. It's a shame Twisted Sister couldn't deliver two more good songs.

5:42 AM

 
Blogger Hollywood said...

We also heard Santana on the way to the game this morning and they make the list.

Speaking of one hit wonders...we heard "Children of the Sun" on the way to the tourney this morning.

After two hours in the car scanning classic rock stations, I think a new fan may be born.

4:14 PM

 
Blogger Hollywood said...

BTO, Santana, Rush...

10:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home