Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Thoughts from Guatemala

We're down here to pick up our son, so my thoughts will be mostly focused on the adoption process and what I've observed...
- Although everything we read and have been told about the general political climate being anti-adoption...I have never gotten that feeling from the locals we´ve met. I know that the places we go (hotels, restaurants, etc.) like the revenue that stems from a steady stream of visitors, but you´d think you'd feel some resentment if such a feeling existed.
- If you don't have joy prior to adopting, then all of a sudden getting a child probably won't resolve that issue...in fact, I have no research to substantiate this opinion, I think it might further enhance your non-joyous spirit. I've noticed all kinds...and there is no way to paint with a broad brush here...but a good number of people I´ve observed, maybe 25 - 30%, think that getting this baby will make them happy...and I have a sinking feeling that if that's why they are going into this, it will be like the 'new car syndrome'...once the novelty wears off, there's still that void.
- New airport terminal, new hotels, a thriving and bustling downtown business district...you wouldn't know that Guatemala is a 'developing nation', ravaged by poverty, by what the average businessman observes. See previous entry on Venezuela...wealth exists everywhere...and there are always places for wealthy to stay and eat and do business.
- The folks at the US Embassy were all very nice. They process between 30 - 40 adoptions a day, and have a much nicer countenance than most DMV agencies back home. It is very comforting to know that you are represented wherever you go.
- The countryside looks beautiful from the plane. I'd love to come back some time as a 'green tourist', hire a guide, hike up a volcano or go see some Mayan ruins...that would be cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home