Monday, September 03, 2007

God's Will

For my wife it started over three years ago when her sister and her family went to Brazil to be missionaries. The Thanksgiving before they left, she told her sister

'if you find a little boy who needs a home, please call us.' It didn't seem like a big deal at the time.

Little did we know at the time that Brazil, although they have over one million orphans, does not allow foreign adoptions. But I never gave it a second thought...just thought my wife was spouting off. Until...

My daughter and I went to Mexico with my friend Brent's youth group. We bonded with the coolest family. The little boys' name was Miguel. He reminded me so much of my own children...bright, precocious, no inhibitions...so I prayed...God, there's got to be something I can do...

So, I came home and wrote the family a letter, via Amor ministries...

'Is there anything we can do to help you guys further? I know you are in your new digs and all, but the gap between me and you is just too great.'

I'm guessing now that Dad thought he provided just fine...I'm not sure how the letter went over, but I never heard anything back. Dead End.

More prayer, more discussions with my wife...

Side note on prayer. I think I'm a fairly faithful when it comes to prayer. I pray formally at times...but mostly in a 'without ceasing' kind of way...throughout the day, just kind of discussing with God what I'm thinking...kind of talking things through seeking affirmation or...maybe not.

Then at some point one of the discussions with my wife led to her getting up several nights in a row, going on line and discovering that their are millions of babies around the world with no families. Well one thing we got is family...so we discussed it...prayed about it...and really there wasn't any choice...it's on.

The process started a year ago. This week we bring Henry home (as long as the US Embassy doesn't do something very bureaucratic).

Then I guess chapter two of 'God's Will' begins for this book.

I would have never guessed, predicted, or even thought that this would be how we'd honor and praise and serve our Lord. Now that we're in it knee deep, I couldn't be more joy filled. That's how He works I guess. You just can't imagine it until your there. It's not about you and how God is going to bless you, or the stuff you get, or the status you have in the community, or what board you serve on...It's all about love and how that manifests itself in others. And if you can have a part in that...well, it's just very hard to describe how cool it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home