Saturday, October 28, 2006

Called to be different...

As Christians we are called to be Salt & Light to a lost world...

To quote Will Farrell in "Kicking & Screaming" - "...different, but good...better"

I tend to think of things in a linear fashion...so bear with me. On one end of my line, to the far right are these Baptists from the midwest who are picketing soldiers' funerals against homosexuality. In their hearts they think they are doing something profoundly good for the Kingdom, not far from jihad if you allow other religions on my linear chart. But since I'm not letting others in, it's just a Christian chart...these wackos are at the far right.

I'm not sure who is at the far left, and the examples I give may not be there, but they are truly left of center and their appears (to a lost world) to be a total disregard for holiness and the pursuit thereof. These were my buddies in the college and career class years ago who were going clubbing to "witness", and ended up coming home with someone.

I'm willing to bet that if...those who are picketing and organizing boycots of Ford and Walmart would put as much energy into sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ lovingly with the lost...the Kingdom would benefit.

And, if those who are using relationship theology as their crutch to continue an un-holy lifestyle, would maintain those friendships and relationships and practice 2 Cor. 5:17...as well as 1 Tim. 1:5...the Kingdom would benefit too.

As for the rest of jockeying for position around mid-point on my line...lets take it easy, get along and let the Holy Spirit work in the lives of those inching their way left AND right. This is what's taking place in my spiritual walk right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

I've found the problem to lie with what "sharing the Gospel of Jesus lovingly" looks like. So, for example, some might say that a "fall festival" alternative at Halloween is what that looks like. Others might say that we all need to stay home and meet our neighbors and give out candy. Meanwhile, the two sides bicker about which one is right. Hence the problem: Legalism.

Ideally, those having Fall Festivals (or my personal favorite, Hell House--a Gospel flavored haunted house) bad mouth the other camp for "looking like the world." Those at home bad mouth the fall festival folks for "being a holy huddle."

We'd all do well to realize that there's room in the Kingdom for all of them--yes, even the Hell House folks (which I personally think uses fear as a motivating factor, and that the bang for the buck will ultimately be more costly for the Kingdom) have a place and I've had to get over myself and trust the Holy Spirit.

It sounds like it's a lesson we're both learning...

...but it sometimes feels like I'm not given the same freedom. Which is where the problem lies: Lack of love and trust.

1:57 PM

 
Blogger Hollywood said...

If you're talking about me giving you the same trust and freedom, I apologize. I've always put you on a spiritual pedestal, not needing MY leeway, nor desiring it. My banter over the past two years has helped me with clarity, so please don't take offense.

I wonder if Paul and Barnabus felt this way?

6:57 PM

 
Blogger Brent said...

No, Hal...

I wasn't talking about you at all. I *GET* the banter and back-and-forth stuff.


I was speaking "in general" about the Christian community. We rarely give each other slack no matter what the ministry or the idea or whatever.

5:10 AM

 
Blogger Hollywood said...

You know, the older I get the more I realize that Paul had to write all those letters for a reason...he was sending them to PEOPLE...Christians who kept screwing it up.

I find myself sliding further left toward center every moment.

8:30 AM

 
Blogger some chick said...

i've decided to start calling fall festivals "christian halloween." cause, really, come on.

8:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home