Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A quick left turn...

First let me say, I LOVE this form of Bible study. Thank you Chip Ingram. I started I Corr. 5-8 and lets just say it took an unexpected turn. I was expecting Paul to start laying on the love...you know the grace he is so known for...but noooooo...he's not done laying into them yet.

In fact, he was just getting started.

In Ch. 1-4 he's getting after their pride and scorekeeping...he's getting after motivation, the internals if you would.

In Ch. 5 - 8 he is laying into behaviors that are just unaceptable. He talks Church discipline, Sexual purity, legalism, husbands & wives, single life, gluttony (why we eat and how much - by the way, this gets more print than anything on alcohol, note to Churches everywhere)...and he gives specific examples...all IN THE CHURCH...he doesn't condemn the lost at all, just the Church.

I'm going to be reading this for the rest of the month, but I was so blown away by where this went...I had to make note.

Side note, my son's Bible verse from school is I Corr. 6: 15-19...it's the one about your body being a holy temple...interesting how we are having him memorize this at 11 years old at his Christian School...the context within which that was written was relating to sexual imorality...one of two things bother me here...
1. Either the need to teach this within context at this young age bothers me (if our culture is such that 5th graders need to learn Paul's intent)...or,
2. They are taking it out of context and talking about other things (probably a legalistic list of do's and don'ts with the body).
Just a thought.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

That verse is by far and away one of the most overused verses out of context.

Mostly, folks use it for diet/exercise related stuff, which isn't at all what Paul was talking about.

6:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home