Saturday, January 12, 2008

Greatest Rock Band Ever

I was driving home from a trip the other night and happened to be channel surfing at 7:00 sharp when my station landed on a Rock & Roll station playing "get the Led out". I like Led Zeppelin...always have. In high school and college I owned albums, used to listen regularly. My taste in music has improved since then, I think I've heard more music, at a higher quality and am equipped to pass this opinion more now than ever.

Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock band ever!

I know, I know...what about the Beatles...or Elvis...well frankly I believe both of those artists would be classified as Pop today (much like Justin or Britany). My justification is simple...if 13 year old girls line the stage and scream at you...if multiple stations and formats play your music...you are Pop, not Rock and Roll.

So now that THAT arguement is out of the way, and we've classified where we are negotiating this...

As I listened to the three song set, alone, intently...the music was absolutely fabulous. And I wondered, if they played any other three songs would I feel the same way...and the answer was a resounding YES! So that sealed the deal with me.

The gravy question of course was...is there any other band with a 3 song set that plays at a prescribed time every day on stations all over the country, and stands the test of time like Led Zeppelin? I think not.

But I'm willing to listen to your arguement as to who's better.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

It's hard to argue your point about being the greatest rock band ever. There's only abut 4 or 5 bands you could even put in the list for consideration. Maybe Aerosmith? Maybe AC/DC? Nirvana? Pearl Jam? Queen? Creedence Clearwater Revival? Led Zeppelin certainly stands out.

And, the Beatles & Elvis were considered pop even by their contemporaries. Zeppelin's record sales were notoriously low by supergroup standards.

Wayne Campbell in "Wayne's World" said it best: "Led Zeppelin didn't write music that everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees."

6:54 AM

 
Blogger some chick said...

it's "britney," not "britany."

sorry, dude. had to say it.

7:47 PM

 
Blogger Hollywood said...

Somehow I have a tinge of pride that I spelled that one wrong.

4:47 AM

 
Blogger art said...

I agree with you Hal...Zeppelin is amazing.

D'yer Mak'er, Going to California, Tangerine, Rock and Roll...the list goes on of great Zeppelin songs that I love.

Tangerine is actually the ringer on my phone right now. I switch between that and Peace Frog by the Doors!

10:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home