Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Thoughts on I John...

I've been reading the same book in the bible, every day (more accurately, every day I HAVE quiet time) for a month...Jan. is I John.

I have a gift to take something, anything, and narrow it down to a 30 second commercial.

So in no particular order, here are my thoughts:
- If you claim salvation, but keep on sinning with no regret/remorse or the like, you should probably rethink your salvation. I John 1 & 2 should be required reading for new Christians (and old Christians)...I'm not sure why it takes us so long to get there.
- Chapters 3 & 4 make 43 references to love. Piggy backing on my first point...we sometimes gloss over how we treat others in our heart relative to sin...the second greatest comandment is to love others and I John makes a compelling point that if you can't do this...you should probably rethink your salvation as well.

So that's it in a nutshell. I'm sure that deep theologians would be upset with the simplicity of this...but I'm pretty sure if I can hang on to these for a few decades...and pass them on to my children and Grandchildren...we'll be in pretty good shape.

1 Cor 1-4 in Feb.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Truly deep theologians aren't upset about "simplicity." Truly deep theologians seek it out and are encouraged by it. One of the biggest dangers of the Word becoming flesh (you're in John, right) is that "truly deep theologians" don't see the irony when they make him words again.

7:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home