Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Painter

There's this painter, who's been on TV for about 30 years...he's a white guy, with an afro, and he's very soft spoken...and he paints these amazing pictures in front of your eyes. I used to watch him in college with my friends Greg Stack and Ray Loggins. Once each show, Greg would shout out, as the painter put some obscure blot of paint in the middle of something nice, "he just SCREWED it up! There's no way he makes this look good." And Ray would calm him down by saying something like..."just watch Greg, he always makes it perfect." I hadn't thought of that painter for almost 20 years...until last night.

My wife made reference to the same painter. He's still on TV. She also re-told me the Greg Stack story (very well by the way)...but she made this great parallel. She says in life she finds herself alot like Greg...doubting God when he puts a blot on our canvas we don't understand...sometimes saying "You screwed that up God." But then God works it out...makes it perfect.

What a cool conversation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

I'd love to get to the heart of the blog on this and say I was moved in a meaningful way...

...but I'm having a little trouble keeping from giggling about the visual of Stack and Ray. They cracked me up then, and I hadn't thought about them in years...

...and I remember them watching that guy.

5:53 PM

 
Blogger some chick said...

i think the painter's name was Ross. And I think he died a few years ago, but I could be wrong.

"happy little trees."

9:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home