Thursday, December 21, 2006

Freedom, meaning what?

I'm glad you asked.

Meaning if asked specifically about abortion, I would tell about the freedom experienced by my friend TJ and his sisters Beth and Kathy, all of whom were adopted. You see, rather than legislate oppression to those who think I want to take away their freedoms, I would choose to extol those who made tremendous choices to grant these three a bountiful free life. You see if TJ's biological mom had not made this wonderful choice, TJ would not have fought with honor during Desert Storm, nor serve proudly as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer, or be a great husband and father of four. That's one way I would extol freedom, not by tearing down, but by building up the positive choice of freedom and encouraging others to do the same, by leading!

And if asked about the economy, I would argue that minimum wage and freedom are mutually exclusive. And how much sense does it make to have a payroll tax for employers, that by its very nature discourages adding people to the payroll...this is NOT freedom. Freedom, in business, encourages enterprise. I would draw on true stories where the socio-economic lower wrung broke out of the cellar to climb to success because of our freedom...and anything we do to hinder that pursuit is flat out wrong.

Any other questions? Or, other situations where you think Freedom might be out of line?

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Exactly my point in my original comment, Hollywood. I wanted you to espouse your ideals...and you went straight to application of them without taking the first step:

What is this "freedom" based upon? So, if I were playing devil's advocate, I might say that the "freedom" to make "wonderful" choices in a "positive" light...might make the inner-city, working mom with no parent around miserable, hence, enslaved. If you were to "encourage enterprise" then my job might be endangered...or there might have been some bias as to why I didn't get a job (maybe I didn't have a home phone for the application and the other applicant did, etc.) so the "freedom" enjoyed by the employer is certainly not "freedom" to me. The devil's advocate would be miserable in your America.

My point is this: You'd have to have a philosophy that's based on something (anything?) other than YOUR personal definition. It must be absolute, and it must be clear. And it must not be relative to anyone's (and I mean any ONE's) particular subjectivities.

5:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home