Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Moving Convictions???

My friend Bill paints a great word picture of Satan. He has him at a card table in Vegas, with the visor, white shirt, black bow tie and vest, sleeves rolled up, laying a deck of cards out in front of you, grinning, saying "pick a card, any card." Each card is something that will cause us to stumble. Satan knows them all, he's seen our actions and behaviors. He doesn't care which one, he just wants us to pick one...any card will get us "off track" to our pursuit of Holiness.

As culture advances, some of my convictions have moved a bit. You see, only 15 years ago, it was very easy to discern what would get me off track...now things get a bit more complex. For example...I think Ben Folds is a fabulous musician, lyricist, and pianist. About 15 years ago, I bought his latest album, only to be disappointed to find 3-4 of the songs to be very explicit and hindered my ability to stay on track. Easy enough, carve it out, don't own the album anymore, Ben Folds was on my personal black list. Then, enter iTunes. I can select a song, not explicit, in fact with a great message (like Jackson Cannery) that describes the conflict between Ben and his brother and the career paths they choose relative the value society places on them, great music, and no conflict. Have my convictions moved?

Another example...certain movies are very funny, but the raunchy meter outweighs the funny meter, so I avoid them. However, if the airlines show the same movie during a flight, the movie gets sanitized and much of the raunchy is weeded out. Why can't we buy that version? Does the fact that the 'clean version' would keep me more on track mean that my convictions are moving?

At the end of the day, do all of these advances in technology that provide us ever increasing access to our culture in larger and larger doses (even if they give us watered down versions) give Satan a larger deck of cards to lay out on the table?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home