Friday, June 23, 2006

Why such sensitivity?

Hypothetically...my kid gets a call to go see "Failure to Launch" with a friend and her mother (both Christians, friends from Church). We explain to her that the movie originally appealed to us (parents) too from the previews...I like Terry Bradshaw...Mom really thinks Matthew the Texan is cute...whatever...and when MY Mom (whose lost) called to see if we wanted to go see it with her, we passed because the reviews we read revealed more raunchiness than humor. So in the end..."No you can't go with your friend."

Here's the (hypothetical) rub...the friend's mom tells our daughter..."you're parents scare me (with how strict they are)." You see, what I think may have transpired is that in us taking a stand that is right for us, we've through process of association, judged someone else - in there eyes. In all honesty, I don't care what movie someone goes to see, who isn't me or my kid. I, with very clear conscience will discuss my decisions with my kid, and why I made them, and hope that they practice similar judgement in making their own decisions, when they are adults.

This idea that we can't make a decision that's good for us, because in doing so, it places artificially created judgement on others, seems out of whack to me.

Thoughts?

1 Comments:

Blogger some chick said...

the part about this post that flips me out the most is that your daughter's friend's mother told your daughter that your strictness scares her.

regardless of whether I would have allowed my daughter to see a movie or not, that mom and i would have had a come to jesus about her saying inappropriate things to my daughter about how i choose to raise her.

9:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home