Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Does Jim Halpert have a place in Business?

NO!

And I mean it...NO!

Jim Halpert is make believe. No different than wives like the ones displayed on Wysteria Lane aren't really the goal for the typical home.

Recently I've had to have this discussion with a couple of my people at work, and it blows me away how shocked they are that this behavior is unacceptable. Like, man, why would anyone get all bent if we put your stapler in jello?

Duh!

You see, Business is for one reason and one reason only...to make a profit! It's not to supply you a job, a place to make friends, a place for you to express your creative side, etc. If these things happen...AND, we make a profit, great...we all win more.

But, if I have to buy a new stapler, or loose two days while someone cleans there office out from 3' of paper shreddings that you decided to fill it with as a practical joke while your coworker was on vacation (3 days if you count the time it took you to fill it), then that cuts directly into profit, which is diametrically opposed to why we're here.

So when I have to have this conversation with you, and tell you that your $50K - $60K job is dependent on you growing up...and you look at me like I'm from Mars, forgive me for being blown away. I mean if you want to be a camp counselor or youth pastor (read play with your friends all day here), then go do it, but with that choice comes the economic realities of being with your playmates all day (no offense directed at youth pastors past or present intended...just venting).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home